Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:26:06 GMT by Graham Last
Hi, I have recently discovered that I am incurring fines and interest on self assessment tax returns that were not completed for tax years ending 2014, 2015 and 2016. My accountant at the time was suppose to prepare and file these for me, however he didn't. I do not remember receiving any reminders or letters about the penalties. I have phoned the helpline, however received very little direction as to what to do apart from pay the fines and interest. As it is over 7 years ago, I have little/no documents left for these periods. Do I still have to file tax returns for these periods? Can I appeal the fines/interest? Thanks
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 14:44:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, you will still need to file the returns.

You can appeal the charges due but as it is your responsibility to file your return, whether you employ an agent or not, this would not be a reasonable excuse to have the charges cancelled.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:11:21 GMT by Graham Last
Thank you for your reply. Do I assume correctly that I need to send these into you in paper format? Thanks
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 16:29:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Graham Last,
Yes, as you will not be able to file online.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.