Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 13:58:19 GMT by jcflyonair Chen
My wife and I used the tool previously proved here to check our resident status. We both were not tax residents in UK for 23/24 as the tool demonstrated. I have applied UTR while my wife have not yet applied. In such case, do we need to file self assessment of some sort or do we need to report somewhere for our non-tax resident status? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 16:37:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jcflyonair Chen,
You can check if you meet the criteria to file a Self Assessment here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2024 16:57:19 GMT by Andrew King
I have checked on the HMRC site using the tool and it tells me I don't need to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return. According to my calculation I am liable for about £200 in tax for interest earned from building society accounts. How do I pay my dues without completing a Self Assessment Tax Return?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 12:24:00 GMT by gel6800
I filled up the form ton register as a Self Employed sole trader and about to send it by post but then on page 4 of the form About the business, there is a question that goes : When did you start working for yourself or when did your trading allowance exemption cease. I haven't started yet and I wanted to do the register as a sole trader. In this regard , I would like to ask for guidance please. Another is, I have got any business name as of this time and how do I register my Sole Trader Business name as well. Thank you for your guidance and support
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 06:39:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew,
Your bank or building society will inform us of this amount, and we will update your records to collect any amount owed.
Please see guidance here:
Tax on savings interest
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 07:15:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi gel6800,

Complete the registration process when you begin operating as a sole trader. When you register as a sole trader, you will be asked whether you trade under your own name, or a business name, you can enter your business name at this point. You can see guidance here:

Set up as a sole trader: step by step

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.