Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Jun 2023 14:01:10 GMT by S C
Dear Sir/Madam, Good afternoon! I have the following two questions: (1) I received a Tax Refund from Inland Revenue Department of Hong Kong in November 2022. Do I need to report to you on self assessment during the tax period? (2) I received a reward of GBP250 from introducing friend to open the bank account in another country. In this case, do I need to report as an income to you on self assessment during the tax period? Looking forward to your further reply and confirmation. Thanks and regards, 

Name Removed Admin
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 14:05:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You do not need to declare the refund from Hong Kong.

The bank referal reward is taxable income an should be declared as other income .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 16:06:52 GMT by S C
Dear Sir/Madam, Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to ask more questions. Refer to the bank referral reward of GBP250, you mentioned that I should declare as other income during tax period and so I understand that I need to register in order to send the self assessment tax return. Am I right? Besides, I have around GBP300 only as interest income in my savings during tax period. Also, I am a Director of a limited company in Hong Kong WITHOUT salary income and WITHOUT dividend received during the tax period. There are 3 ways to register. In my case, which way should I register, "Self-employed or a sole trader" OR "Not self-employed" OR "registering a partner or partnership"? Looking forward to your further reply and confirmation. Thanks and regards, sycab
Posted Fri, 09 Jun 2023 15:53:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If the only reason to register for self assessment is to declare the bank reward, then this is not required as you can advise this over the phone.
If you have another reason, other than self employment or partnership, it will be not self employed.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.