Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 14:31:47 GMT by Eric Garner
SINCE 1998 MY ACCOUNTANT HAS ALWAYS DONE MY TAX RETURN. I "RETIRED" IN 2016 BUT KEPT ON A FEW CLIENTS, OF WHICH I STILL HAVE TWO. I AM NOW THINKING OF DOING IT MYSELF, TO SAVE ME FROM HAVING TO PAY £200 A YEAR TO THE ACCOUNTANT, BUT I AM STUCK RIGHT AT THE START. I HAD A GATEWAY ID A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN I APPLIED FOR MY STATE PENSION BUT I'VE FORGOTTEN MY ID AND PASSWORD, AND IN ANY CASE IT SEEMS THAT HMRC NO LONGER HAVE AN ID RELATING TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS. DO I NEED TO OBTAIN A NEW GATEWAY ID? AND DO I NEED TO REGISTER FOR SELF ASSESSMENT? OR WILL I HAVE TO GET THIS INFORMATION FROM THE ACCOUNTANT? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:42:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you had a previous gateway ID then you will not need to obtain a new ID. If you are unable to self serve to get your ID online then you will need to contact our Online helpdesk to review.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Once you have access to your online account you would then enrol to file the Self Assessment online yourself. You would not need to register for Self Assessment again as you have an existing UTR. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:02:14 GMT by Eric Garner
Thank you very much for your response. I have left it too late for this year but hopefully I will be able to do it myself next year.

Feedback .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.