Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:53:19 GMT by
Hi I registered for self assessment and I was expecting an email or letter but haven't received them yet. It's been about a week since I registered online to self assessment , how long does it get to register for self assessment? I was sent an email that I need to do a self assessment as I need to pay back child benefit due to higher income which I earned last year. Please advise if im expected to do anything else? I am concerned that I keep waiting for a letter or email and I don't hear back and I get a fine. (Appreciate it's a bit last-minute.com, but it's been more than a week since I registered for self assessment!) Thank you! Sasika
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 07:37:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sasika99,
It can take 10 - 14 working days to issue you your UTR by post, though you can usuually see it sooner on your personal tax account.
More information here:
Find your UTR number
If you haven't received your UTR after 14 days, contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 02:19:29 GMT by
I received an email response "Unfortunately we are unable to process your registration form for Self Assessment as the form is incomplete", but it doesnt say what information is missing? I checked the boxes which are relevant to my circumstance and put the dates relevant to the child benefit claim. What am I doing wrong? I filled in the Self Assessment registration form twice and got two emails saying the same as above, please help on what should be done. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:45:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced issues registering for Self Assessment. As there may be a few things that could cause an incomplete registration, please contact us by webchat or phone via the link below and we can register you, or advise you further.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.