Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:41:05 GMT by
Hi, I am self-employed and have paid all Class 2 National Insurance and completed my 2022/2023 tax return over 2.5 months ago. I recently had a baby but am still getting the minimum maternity allowance payments (£27 per week) I am eligible for the full maternity allowance as confirmed by the Maternity HMRC team. How long does HMRC take to update the payments based on the details above?
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:32:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Erin Louise Rogerson,

Class 2 NICs for tax year 2022-23 are not due until 31/01/24. 
Any Class 2 NICs paid between April and November for the tax year that has just ended remain on the SA record until towards the end of November because ordinarily there is no need for them to be reflected on the NI record before then. 
Towards the end of November/start of December we begin transferring them to the NI record.
There are certain scenarios where we need to have the NICs reflected on the NI record at an earlier stage – usually because of a claim to benefit.
On receipt of a claim to Maternity Allowance from a self employed individual, the DWP will assess the claim based on the NI record as it stands.
That is presumably why you are currently receiving the minimum rate.
If the DWP feel that the entitlement can be improved, they will contact HMRC and in a case such as yours, we will ask the self assessment section to transfer the NICs to the NI record early.
If no payment had been made to Self Assessment, we would issue an interim bill directly to the individual. 
In order to assess the position with regard to your NI records, you will need to contact the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500.
Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 08:01:55 GMT by
I am in the same situation, paid everything including Class 2's to make me eligible for the full amount. Instead of HMRC requesting NICs from self assessment like you say above they have issued me a new bill with added amounts and a request for £40.95. It appears I am paying class 2 twice. I've been on the phone for upwards of 4 hours speaking to different people about it and people see the issue but no one is able to help, often the agents just hang up which is incredibly frustrating and stressful, not ideal for an 8 month pregnant person.
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:47:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
We apologise that you were disconnected when you contacted HMRC.
In this case we would need to access your record to review this.
You can contact HMRC at:
Contact HMRC
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.