Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 22:35:42 GMT by eagleinlondon
Dear Home Office, I am filling my self assessment for tax year of 23-24, and one question asks how much child benefit my partner received. The form's calculator gives a figure automaticcally, based on the starting date (mid of 2023) and ending date (5/4/24) we received child benefit during the past tax year. However, the calculated figure in the form does not match the actual child benefit we received. The reason is we received a payment of child benefit on/around 29 March, i.e. the last payment we received for tax year of 23-24, and the next payment we received was near end of April, which falled into the new tax year of 24-25. The form calculated child benefit figure, however, added one more week of payment between 29/03 and 05/04, which we did not receive. So for the purpose of filling my SA, should I answer the question on how much child benefit we received for tax year 23-24 using the form calculated figure which adds one extra week of payment that we never received? Or should I put the actual payment we received which excludes the one week payment between 29/03 and 05/04? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2024 05:47:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi eagleinlondon,
Enter the amount you actually received.
You may wish to provide the same explanation of this amount in the 'Any Other Information' freetext box at the end of your tax return.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.