Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:12:36 GMT by
Hi, I’ve just registered for flat rate VAT. I’ve been put in the incorrect category and should be paying slightly more vat. I’ve tried contacting HMRC but can never get through or they hang up and I’ve also sent message on their site with no reply? Has anyone else had to change their rate on the flat rate scheme. Thanks Pete
Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 13:17:47 GMT by Jay Cooke
You, as the applicant, decide what category you fit into, so when you say you've been put in the incorrect category, do you means HMRC have made an error or do you mean you chose a category but then upon reflection, realised you should be in a different category? Either way, you'll not be able to achieve much over the telephone, write to HMRC advising them that you wish to change your flat rate category from (date) and then proceed on the basis that HMRC will accept this change from that date and will eventually write to confirm it to you, In the meantime, file your flat rate returns using your new/revised category.
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:07:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Peter McCormack,
If you have been put on the incorrect trade sector then please reflect this in your records and inform us in writing to the following address:
BT VAT 
HM Revenue and Customs 
BX9 1WR 
United Kingdom
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.