Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 13:47:24 GMT by Toby reynolds
I applied for VAT registration on May 17th 2024 via a third party company. I continued to chase them throughout June and July for updates but was continually told HMRC are not contactable you just have to be patient. On August 4th 2024 I contacted the HMRC helpline and was informed a request for more info had been requested and a VAT5 form sent to my business address. I informed them I hadn't received it and a replacement was sent. On receipt I noticed the expiration date for the return of the form was 12th July 2024 which had passed so contacted the helpline again and was informed that the expiration date wasn't an issue .If my regsitration was closed it would be reopened once they received the completed VAT5 form. I completed the form and sent it via royal mail special delivery showing as being delivered on 22nd August 2024. During this time I received a letter from the registration department saying the registration had been cancelled due to them not receiving the completed VAT5 form. I contacted the helpline again and was told not to worry the registration would be reopened once the form had found its way through to the registration department. I requested a call back from a manager and it was scheduled for 10am Tuesday 3rd September 2024. I didn’t receive the call at 10am on Tuesday 3rd September call so at 11am I called the helpline and was advised to wait until 1pm. I called in that afternoon and was advised to wait until the end of the day but to also send an email to vrs.newregistrations@hmrc.gov.uk which I did at 16:28. I didn’t receive a call by the end of the day Tuesday 3rd Sept 2024 so called in again on Wednesday 4th September 2024 and the call handler this time arranged a call back for me between 10am – 4pm on Wednesday 11th September 2024. I again received no call back so called the helpline again and another call back was logged with both the a helpline manager and the registration team. During this time I also responded to the appeal committee as instructed in the letter I had previously received and been told to ignore as I didn't want to miss the 30 day window for appeals. I have since emailed the the registration team again requesting feedback to my previous email and attached a copy of the appeals letter. It is now the 17th September and I have still had no further contact from HMRC other than when I call the helpline to inform them I have had no reply call and could somebody please help. The call handlers are always polite but are unable to offer any assistance other than schedule further calls and email the registration team for escalation. All of which seem to go nowhere. PLEASE HELP. I cannot trade without the VAT reg no.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2024 21:27:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

I am sorry your application is taking so long to process and for the inconvenience this is causing for you and your business.

We do need to need to contact you as soon as possible to communicate what is happening with your application and whether we require any more information from you.

I would recommend you contacting our helpline again on the number shown in this link:

VAT: general enquiries

So that we can liaise with the Registration team and set up a call back with you.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2024 11:17:41 GMT by Toby reynolds
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.