Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 08 Oct 2023 07:25:50 GMT by
Hi there, Hope someone can give me an accurate answer. Because even after reading some articles on the HRMC website, I really still can’t understand how to calculate import VAT. I want to import goods from China into UK, full 20 feet container. However, there is a problem that I don't quite understand how import VAT is calculated. Before I go any further, I want to say that I have read this article: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-out-the-vat-value-using-the-customs-value-of-the-imported-goods I know that: import Duty = Goods CIF Value x Duty rate. Goods CIF Value = Goods Value + Sea Freight Cost + Insurance Cost. But when it comes to Import VAT, I'm not sure whether it also include Customs clearance fees and Container tailer transport cost within UK.. I saw calculating formula from some articles of shipping companies like this: Import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty ) x VAT Rate Ok, It's easy to understand for me. (But, is this too simple? I'm not sure..) On the other hand, I also checked some articles from some other UK shipping companies, the cost of transport within the UK should also be added into import VAT. So, my question is: 1. import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty + Customs Clearance Fees + Container inland transport cost ) x VAT Rate 2. import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty + Customs Clearance Fees ) x VAT Rate 3. import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty ) x VAT Rate Which calculating formula do you think is correct? For "Container inland transport cost", I mean the container trailer freight that transported from Customs to our company's warehouse within UK. For VAT Rate, I know it's 20% generally with some exceptions. I do appreciate for your help. Thank you!
Posted Sun, 15 Oct 2023 04:33:03 GMT by
anydody can help to answer?
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:24:44 GMT by
Hi ericchiue622, The correct answer is nearly option 1. import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty + Customs Clearance Fees + Container inland transport cost ) x VAT Rate You should also include costs for Terminal Handling, Service charges etc. or follow HMRC guidance under IMPS04400 where you can use a flat rate of £ 550.00 Quote Group C \nSurface freight full load consignments by trailer, rail wagon or container £550 per full load consignment to be added to the value at the time of importation. Unquote Which would mean import VAT = ( CIF Value + Duty + £ 550.00 ) x VAT Rate Hope this helps
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 18:02:55 GMT by
Thank you Admark. Very helpful!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.