Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 15:10:36 GMT by
Hello Not sure what the right forum thread to post this one in so apologies if not the correct place. I am a treasurer for a Customer User Group for a piece of software. I took over the role in 2020. We run an annual user group conference and have an AGM, that is about it. We are not registered for VAT and everything has been running fine. However when invoicing customers for the conference this year I was told by one of the customers that they needed an HRMC number before they would pay. This hasn't happened before and I am not really sure what to do, how to go about it and whether this is actually required. Had a look around this site and can't work out the answer, so any guidance will be much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 13:49:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

We would recommend going back to the customer and ask them to clarify what a HMRC number is.

You can only provide a VAT number if you are VAT registered. To be VAT registered you would need to be in business making UK taxable supplies.

You can find guidance here:

Who should register for VAT (VAT Notice 700/1)

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:34:04 GMT by
Hello They have asked for a Tax Reference number, with a VAT number being an example of one, so that we can be set up on their system for payment.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:19:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you are VAT registered then you can provide your VAT number. If you are not VAT registered then we would ask them sprecifically what tax number you can provide to them.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.