Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 20:13:05 GMT by
Hi HMRC admin, I sold my limited company which is VAT registered. Does it mean now the VAT belongs to the new owner and the new owner can link VAT to his gateway and submit VAT return as usual?
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:16:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

If you have sold your VAT registered limited company to a new owner then the new owner is now responsible for the
VAT registration number and for completing VAT returns via the Business Tax Account.

If the new owner has kept the same VAT number then I would recommend you remove the MTD service
from your account so that the new owner can register for the MTD service themselves.

To remove the MTD service :

Login to your Business Tax Account
Select Manage Account (top of the screen)

Select Remove a tax duty or scheme and then follow the on screen instructions .

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:08:21 GMT by
I called helpline week ago and I was told I needed to go through the process of transfer the VAT registration number if the new owner wants to keep the same number, was that still correct? Can I skip this process?
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:44:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

If it is a Transfer of a going concern and the new owner wants to keep the same VAT number then you would need to go through this process.

If you go through the deregistration process online it will give you the option to select that the VAT number is being transferred.

If you don't want the new owner to have the same VAT number then you would simply deregister the VAT number via your
Business Tax Account and the new owner would apply for a new VAT number through their Business Tax Account .

Thank you  .
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:43:31 GMT by
It is not a transfer of a going concern and he just wants to keep the same VAT number so he can submit VAT return immediately to claim back input tax. As you mentioned before, once I remove MTD service, he can link VAT to his gateway account and complete VAT return immediately. Can I allow this happen?
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:27:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Suk Poon,
Before the new owner can complete any returns HMRC need to be informed that a transfer is taking place.
Please see the guidance below:
3. Rules following a TOGC
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.