Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 16:18:04 GMT by
Hello, I am self employed and have a self assessment UTR and account. I have also set up a business account for VAT purposes (which I think is now a mistake) I tried to link the accounts but it wouldn't let me online. Does this matter and can they now be linked without changing VAT number? Thank you
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:30:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

It is perfectly fine to have 2 different Business Tax Accounts and have VAT on one and Self Assessment on the other.

The important aspect is that when trying to submit a Making Tax Digital return that you connect your software with the Business Tax Account which has the Making Tax Digital service on it.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:44:18 GMT by
Thank you for coming back to me. I don't have two business tax accounts. I have a business account for VAT and a personal self assessment account. Can you confirm if this is ok if I should be submitting my self assessment from a business tax account? I have connected my software for VAT purposes but was managing self assessment outside of software as it was only set up part way through the year. Do I need to change that? Thanks Katie
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:39:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
That's fine that your Self Assessment is on your Personal Tax Account and your VAT is on a Business Tax Account.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.