Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:55:09 GMT by
My partner is leaving our partnership to set up their own unrelated business, I will be continuing as a sole trader with the same business. Our partnership was VAT registered. Will I need to apply for a new VAT number for continuing as a sole trader or can I keep the same one?
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:27:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you are changing the legal entity of the business then you have a choice between cancelling the VAT number as a partnership and applying for a new one for the sole tradership or treating the change as a change of legal entity

If you want to keep the same VAT number then please see the guidance below:

Register for VAT

If you do not want to keep the same VAT number then please send in a VAT 7 to cancel the partnership and a VAT 1 to register the sole tradership.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:38:32 GMT by
Thank you, this is very helpful. In case of keeping the same VAT number what happens with the quarterly VAT return dates? Do they follow the same schedule or will there be a change to it? E.g. my last return was submitted to end of May and the next is due to end of August. Will this remain unchanged?
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 13:14:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
If you keep the same VAT number then you can request your accounting periods on the VAT 1 form so that the accounting period can remain the same.
If you don't request a preference then it will be chosen for you.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.