Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 20:58:12 GMT by
Hi, Title says it all, we are quite confused to be honest. VAT return was submitted which equates to a VAT rebate for the quarter (one that is needed aswell given the amount we spent) Sent for further checks for 14 working days, complete radio silence from the HMRC. Try to login today, accounts been deleted, ask two colleagues, their accounts have also been deleted. Remake my account and start to go through the rigmarole of getting access to paye, vat etc. Then see that that 3 days ago, HMRC changed the rebate to £0, said there was an error in the return? Even stranger, the return for the quarter is gone, I can’t see it, but I can see the end part of the submission, It’s not saying one is outstanding either, I’m genuinely confused. Not heard a word.
Posted Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:53:28 GMT by Jay Cooke
I think you are going to need to call the VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700 or if calling from outside the UK, +44 2920 501 261 Clearly something is not right here. that you or your colleagues could not access your VAT account sort of suggests that someone else has accessed your VAT account and changed the logins. I've never seen HMRC change a taxpayers login without letting the taxpayer know. Not sure what you mean by "accounts have been deleted", do you mean the VAT Account/ability to file VAT returns? If so, when HMRC write to a taxpayer and the letter is returned as "not at this address", then HC can lock down the VAT account, that is, you can still login but are unable to see any returns or file any returns, so have you changed address since registering for VAT and not told HMRC? It may then also follow that if HMRC think you have moved or disappeared and HC cannot contact you, then HMRC may have stopped the refund and prevented any more VAT returns from being filed as a precaution/security measure. Or it could be a genuine technical glitch, but whatever it is, you are going to need to speak to HMRC, and then you should be able to see what the issue is and resolve it.
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:35:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Tomqruz,
Please contact our Helpline on 03002003700 so that we can look in to your account and investigate what has happened.
VAT: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 09:28:29 GMT by
Thanks guys. Finally got to the bottom of it, hmrc thought a third party had submitted the return, which was not the case so deleted all the organisations login, didn’t even ask us if it was the case. Caused us all sorts of issues this has and we have had to resubmit the return.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.