Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jul 2024 06:49:52 GMT by William Wu
Dear HMRC, I am an individual from China, I sell products via www.stockx.com to customers in UK. The stocks ask me to upload a VAT. I want to know can I apply a VAT by individual ? Or I have to register a company first and apply a VAT under the company name?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 10:44:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi William,
You can register as an individual when you apply online select sole trader Register for VAT.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 07:18:14 GMT by William Wu
But when I try to register, they ask me to enter my insurance number and address in the UK. I can not supply.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 07:24:49 GMT by William Wu
When I created a gateway ID selected as individual, it shows that We need to check your identity. They will ask me to enter my insurance number and UK Address. But I do not have an insurance number and UK Address.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 12:18:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi William Wu,
If there is not an option on the individual Gateway account to select that you are overseas, then as VAT is a business tax please create a gateway ID as an organisation rather than an individual.
This should allow you to continue. If you have any further technical online issues the online services helpdesk contact details are located here: Technical support with HMRC online services
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.