Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2024 11:08:12 GMT by choc12345
I receive my income from Google Ireland and for last 4 years have been paying VAT on a server at around £130 a month in USA dollars. I have earned over the £80k and registered the business for VAT. The business does not earn any other money only via Google which I believe is VAT exempt as they are overseas. How do I claim back the VAT I am paying for the server? Can I claim back the VAT server cost? The server is actually in America so I don't understand why it is being charged to the UK as the presence of the business is outside the UK, the advertising is carried outside the UK, the only connection to the UK is I live in the UK, and it is a UK company.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 13:38:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If an overseas company is supplying you a service of this nature then we would expect the UK business customer to account for the VAT under the reverse charge procedure. Please see the guidance below:

Reverse charge

If you have been charged VAT incorrectly then you would need to contact the overseas seller to query why and to request a refund if this VAT has been charged to you incorrectly.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.