Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 12:58:03 GMT by Alistair White
I am in the process of restoring a residential property which has been empty for 2+ years and which falls within the relevant requirements of VAT Notice 708. The required evidence has been received from my local council. My question is whether - in a similar manner to refunds to DIY housebuilders under VAT431NB or VAT431C - it is possible for me to make a post-completion request to HMRC for a refund of a portion of the VAT paid in a situation where the relevant materials (otherwise falling under the requirements of VAT Notice 708) are purchased by me directly rather than by my builder? In other words, to streamline the purchasing of certain materials can I buy them directly (paying 20% VAT) and subsequently get a refund of 15% VAT which represents the overpayment compared to a situation where the builder buys them directly?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 11:42:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

If you are renovating an existing dwelling, only where you meet the criteria to submit a DIY claim as per VAT431C would you be able to reclaim VAT on building materials you purchase yourself. For this, the property must have been empty for 10 years or more before the work started.

VAT refunds for conversions if you’re a DIY housebuilder

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.