Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 16:15:24 GMT by PW96
I have been working as a sole trader/sub contractor since November 2023 and invoicing the same customer weekly and I have now been aware I may be better off as a limited company and Voluntarily registering for VAT - which i have done both now in August 2024. I have read online but dont understand the rules regarding claiming VAT back. Can claim back any VAT on the sales invoices I have already provided and been paid by the customer, going back to this Last November when i started providing the services? I provide the same weekly service to them today and The customer is also VAT Registered. Also if the answer is no, does this mean I have made a mistake in my application and i need to amend the vat registration date to Last November? Or am i just simply only able to charge them VAT on future business? Thanks
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 09:36:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

You will only need to start charging VAT to your customer from the date of your Registration.

As regards reclaiming VAT on your purchases then you are allowed to recover pre registration VAT incurred in the course of your business.

Please see the guidance below:

VAT guide (VAT Notice 700)    .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.