Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 11:17:42 GMT by VAThell
Hello, I successfully de-registered my VAT number back in Oct 2022 and have confirmation of de-registration on my Online Business Tax account. Unfortunately, when I check HMRC's online VAT Check portal the 'old' de-registered number shows up as valid. I have made multiple applications to re-register for VAT as I need a valid VAT number to work with large clients (They won't engage without a VAT number). NOONE in HMRC helpline or email addresses seems to be able to assist. My accountants have called the VAT general helpline on several occasions. I have personally called both the general helpline 0300 200 3700 and the Reinstatement team on 0300 322 7871 on multiple occasions on every occasion the wait time has been over 40 mins only to be passed on to another internal team with no luck. EVERYTIME I speak to an advisor requesting an update or requesting help they are all unable to help and simply pass me on to other teams internally. We have written several email requests to both vrs.newregistrations@hmrc.gov.uk and the vatderegreinstatements@hmrc.gov.uk teams as suggested by both the helplines but to no avail. How difficult is it to rectify a simple online issue and re-issue a valid VAT number? This issue has been going on for over 4 months now and in the meantime I am unable to bill my clients. Can someone please assist and let me know how I can escalate this issue. Unfortunately the helpline folks and email teams are simply useless???
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 13:25:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.I'm sorry you are having such issues with trying to reregister for VAT.

It does seem like the Registration process is rejecting your application as it picking up a valid VAT number relating to your business.

However this is an issue the Registration Team should be able to resolve for you.

I know you have already tried this but can you call our Helpline again on 03002003700 and we can liaise with the Registration
and Deregistration Team to resolve this for you.

Thank you .
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 20:58:41 GMT by VAThell
Hello Admin 17 as advised I called the helpline 03002003700 again and after waiting for 47 mins in the queue when I finally got through again your Helpdesk folk were unable to assist. I was told again that there was nothing they could do and that I had to re-email the vrs.registration email address as Helpdesk could not resolve this issue. What a pathetic state of affairs. Can someone PLEASE ASSIST, actually assist and give me a route to escalation. Calling the Helpdesk number and emailing vis.registration team email address is simply not working. This suggestion is just absolutely pointless?! Extremely annoyed and frustrated
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 10:41:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi VAThell,
I am sorry that you are not getting the required help with this issue.
Can you call our Helpline again and state that you would like to speak to a technician regarding an issue which is not getting resolved.
The advisor will then either pass the call through to us or they will set it as a call back for us to speak to you at an agreed time.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.