Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2024 19:00:28 GMT by Thomas Hewitt
We have bought a house which has been empty for over 2 years. Whilst one contractor has been happy to accept that we meet the criteria for the VAT relief, our main contractors accountant is asking for something in writing from the Council or a certificate which we have so far been unable to provide. I have rung the Council on several occasions and they seem confused as to the request, might anyone have any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 01 Oct 2024 07:02:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi .

Please refer to section 8.3.2 as evidence that is acceptable to HMRC :

Buildings and construction (VAT Notice 708) 

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 17:52:21 GMT by Suzy Carter
Hi - I believe you can self-certify using the certificate template 'Zero-rated and reduced-rated building work certificate' to be found in section 18.1 of VAT 708 Notice. Can anyone tell me how to post a new question in this forum?
Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 18:05:53 GMT by Suzy Carter
I have a slightly different question in relation to the application of 5% VAT rate: Can more than one contractor working on the eligible property claim the reduced rate? I am not referring to sub-contractors but a situation where one contractor is employed to build an extension and another separate contractor is employed to stabilise the walls of the original part of the building. Can both contractors claim the reduced rate on their elements of the work, if they have the necessary evidence?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 07:28:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

As long as the criteria is met for work on an empty property as per the folllowing guidance then more than
one contractor can charge
at the reduced rate of 5% See:

Buildings and construction (VAT Notice 708)  .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.