Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 13:03:30 GMT by
Hi, I wasn't 100% sure which service to call for advice. I tried citizens advice and since they only deal with UK related tax inquiries, I was referred to HMRC. I can't call in at the moment, so I'm trying here in case someone with the knowledge can help me. I recently made an online purchase from the USA but it was returned to the shipper and they gave this reason: "Hello ****, Upon checking, our warehouse has just received the package. We apologize for any inconvenience. We were informed that a British VAT number is required to ship to the UK. Could you please provide one to us so that we can proceed with the reshipment? We look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks in advance!" Now, I'm young and was never really taught the ins and outs of tax navigation or about VAT, as it's all done for you unless you are self employed and to my knowledge, VAT is added already in the UK. I am a citizen of the UK but considering I'm not a registered company, how do i go about doing what they've asked? Can I just use any old company? A bit confused !
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 16:13:25 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi AGC An individual consumer does not need a VAT number nor would they be any requirement for a UK business to register for VAT until they reach £85,000 turnover . A VAT number is not required to import into the UK except when the shipment is below £135. In this case it is not the consumer but the overseas company that should register for VAT in the UK and charge you the UK VAT in their charges. If you are a business, including being a sole trader , you should apply for an EORI number which is an importer registration number. You don’t need a VAT number to get an EORI number. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 18:08:18 GMT by
Thanks for your answer. No wonder I was confused, as it's clearly something the business overseas needs to arrange for the buyer. I have informed them. Either they somehow overlooked this, rarely ship to the UK, or it a scam...
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:57:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Adam
If you import goods in to the UK as an individual then you don't need  a VAT number to do this.
A VAT number is only applicable to businesses who trade in the UK over a certain threhold.
So I would recommend confirming with the company that you are an individual and not a business.
You may also want to speak with our International Trade Team
Please see below:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.