Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2024 21:38:25 GMT by Mohamed Abbadi
Dear, I am soon starting a dropshipping store based in The Netherlands, of which UK customers will be fulfilled by a UK based company. After the UK customers places an order on my website, I pay this UK company the base product price after which they ship it to the UK customer. In short: The product does not leave the UK and I do not enter the UK. I am based and registered in The Netherlands. My questions: 1. Do I put UK VAT on the invoice for my UK customer? 2. If so, can I get back the VAT that the UK company charges me?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 08:33:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
If the goods are being sourced by you in the UK and then sold on to a UK customer then there are two supplies taking place and both will need to have VAT attached to them as they are both supplies taking place in the UK.
The other company will charge you UK VAT which you should be able to recover as input tax subject to the rules below:
Introduction to input tax
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 08:46:06 GMT by Mohamed Abbadi
Dear, All clear, thank you. I will need to register for a UK VAT number correct? As a foreign company, can I apply for a UK VAT number with the tax office directly or do I need some kind of intermediary to apply on behalf of me?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 07:49:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

Yes you will need to apply for a VAT number. 

You can do this via our website.

Please see the link below:

Register for VAT    .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.