Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 17:44:05 GMT by
I am applying for VAT but once I add company details and UTR onto application. It says " The details entered donot match our records. You need to call corporation tax team and tell them there is issue unique tax reference." I have contacted the team and they say there isn't any problem with UTR or Company details. We have trying to register for past month but no luck. Why it has to be so complicated. If we don't provide vat number to online platform our account can be deactivated.
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 14:00:08 GMT by Jay Cooke
Are you sure the address you are using is correct (ie, the address for the UTR and the address as per Companies House, they match what you are typing onto the screen for the VAT registration application?). It is usually the address that causes the issue (ie, registered office may be different to trade address), also check that the company name you are typing in is exactly as per Companies House (for example if you are Limited or Ltd or Ltd. (full stop at end). Failing that, it might be an IT glitch, at the bottom of the page where it says "the detail entered do not match...." there is a "problem with this page?" prompt, click on that and you can send a message to HMRC IT, explain your problem and someone should email you back with potential solutions.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:08:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We are sorry to hear you are having issues with the registration application. If you call our VAT team then we can look at sending you a paper application.

VAT: general enquiries

In the meantime can you report this digitally via the link 'get help with this page' which is found towards the bottom of the page on gov.uk. This Team will come back to you within 48 hours.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:22:00 GMT by Durdana Saleem
I have same issue as above --- trying to register for VAT but when i put UTR and company number it says "don't match our records". I need to apply for VAT number ASAP and get it otherwise Amazon account will be blocked. called HMRC multiple times, their technical team says everything if fine on their side. corporation tax team says it is not a problem with them either. reported problem with page and no reply from them till now..... trying to call VAT HMRC number for paper application as you said above.....but after 30 min of wait time call get cancelled on it own...trying for 2 days straight and nothing ... not even able to contact anyone who can solve the issue. please see this matter. it is really urgent... i can't even request paper form because call doesn't reach to anyone from VAT team.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 15:15:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Durdana Saleem,
If you have reported the issue via the 'get help with this page link' then this will be looked in to by the Digital Team.
We are sorry you are having issues reaching our helpline.
We will be able to send you out a paper application once you make contact with us.
Please see bwlow for the different ways to contact us:
VAT: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.