Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:09:41 GMT by
Hi, I have just registered for VAT and need to resolve my back VAT calculation and payment. I can't seem to find any direction on how I submit my calculation and payment for the back VAT and penalty. My forward looking VAT calculations are not due until next year but I would like to clear this issue up now and keep it separate from the ongoing VAT submissions so that its easy to track. I have tried speaking to a someone on the VAT helpline but was not clear on what he was suggesting to resolve this. Another compounding issue is that for ease, this calculation is best achieved in a spreadsheet as trying to do it through compliant MTD software for back VAT doesn't seem to be an option and would likely require some 'bodging' to get it to work. Any direction / tools to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. To be clear the calculation of the VAT and penalty is clear, its just how I submit to HMRC in a format/way that makes both our lives easy. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:17:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

I think you would need to clarify this with the officer or department who have raised the assessment and penalties.

If you have been issued with a separate assessmet and separate penalty then it would just be a case of making the payment over to us and not including the figures on your VAT return.

However if you have been asked to include the assessment and penalties as part of your vat return then you would need to include the figures on your VAT return with an accompanying payment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.