Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 11:09:02 GMT by FMTRC
Following significant staff changes in our organisation and the cancellation of the mobile phone number associated with the VAT portal log in I cannot access our VAT portal. I wish to update several portal access accounts and bring all the various tax services we require into one portal. I queried this with an online agent who advised me to call the VAT helpline number which was closed. When is it open and which number should I call?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 13:15:18 GMT by Jay Cooke
You need to call the VAT Online Helpline, this telephone helpline service deals with logging in/online issues and is usually available between 8am and 6pm UK time, excluding weekends of course. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/online-services-helpdesk The person calling should be the owner/Director or responsible person for finance, it cannot be an agent/external Accountant. When calling there will be a series of security questions about the business, VAT registration number, date of VAT registration, address/postcode, the VAT period of last return filed and the amount of VAT due/refund in Box 5, there may be other additional questions as they randomise the questions but the point is whoever calls needs to have their VAT returns and accounts in front of them. Once security is passed, the helpline person can cancel the old mobile number and set it so that when you first login, the next screen will ask you to set a new telephone number for receiving security codes. It is a pain, this helpline has a slightly less wait time than the general helpline but it is the only way to get this fixed. Your gateway account is like a bank account, HMRC need to be satisfied the account is secure, hence the use of 2-step verification which is common with banking apps and most other websites and apps, so whilst the process to reset things is painful, it is for your benefit and security. In terms of consolidating your portals, presumably you are saying you have a gateway for payroll and separate gateway login for CT and a separate login for VAT....that is a bit messy, when speaking to the online Helpline, ask them about how you can unlink those taxes from their existing gateways so that you can then add all of these taxes to one gateway, the helpline may require you to pass additional security tests when talking about another gateway for another tax.
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 14:28:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

Please speak to our

Online Services Helpdesk on 03002003701.
Their opening hours are 8-6 .

See :

Get help using VAT online services  .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.