Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:16:54 GMT by
Hello, I'm employed by a US-based company, and we've recently obtained a VAT number. I'm in the process of adding this VAT information to my Gateway account to determine our VAT period and the deadline for filing our first VAT return. The system prompts me to enter 'the UK postcode where your business is registered for VAT.' As we are a US company and don't have a UK postcode, I selected the option indicating that our business does not have a UK postcode. Following this, it inquires whether we are currently submitting VAT returns. Since we haven't submitted any returns yet, I chose 'no.' After this selection, the message I receive is 'we could not confirm your business.' This is causing some confusion, and I'm seeking assistance on how to proceed. Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:25:54 GMT by Jason Croke
Try using this postcode AB10 1ZP As you are a USA based entity (you are not a UK established company), you are known as a "Non-Established Taxable Person" (NETP). When any business which is not a UK established company registers for VAT, the address for the VAT registration that HMRC use internally is Ruby House, 8 Ruby Place, Aberdeen, Scotland. AB10 1ZP. This address is used by HMRC for VAT registrations related to non-UK companies. I've overseas clients who had the same problem as you, it was resolved by using the address that is on your VAT certificate, the address on your VAT certificate will be Ruby House, AB10 1ZP. Your VAT certificate should have been received to your offices in the USA via the post. if you have not yet received this in the post, you would not know the address on the certificate is in fact an address in Scotland (Aberdeen). If that doesn't work, on the screen where it states "we can't confirm your business", there is a "any problem with this page" link at the very bottom of the page/screen, click that, explain the problem using the online form and someone will reply with next steps/who to call/how to resolve.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 10:49:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi FocalAccounting,
Please contact the VAT helpline on 0300 200 3700 so we can check the details specifically linked to the your VAT registration number and assist you further.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 15:46:01 GMT by
Hi HMRC admin, I was waiting on the line for 52 mins calling from the US. The agent finally pick my call and hang up on me after I explain the problem to her. She literally ask what my VAT number is and hang up. I'm still sitting here have no idea how to add my VAT to my business account.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 17:09:07 GMT by Jason Croke
Just give my post a try - either go with the UK postcode or if that fails, click the "report issue" at bottom of that page and let the IT helpdesk look into it as it might be a database issue which you nor I can fix, only HMRC can fix. As an aside, in MS Teams you can make non-video calls (ie, voice only calls) so you could always try calling the HMRC helpline via MS Teams and that way avoid the international charges, calls would be via VoIP/internet.
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:31:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Please call the Helpline again as we need to look into your account so we can identify the problem and resolve it for you.
Thank you
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 13:10:53 GMT by Jtucker
I am UK based and VAT registered since 2000 but can't add my VAT to my account as I have the same message ?
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 12:30:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Please contact our helpline so we can resolve this for you:
VAT: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.