Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Jul 2023 21:54:56 GMT by
I have recently taken over a business as a going concern on the 4th April 2023. As the turnover is so high, I applied to transfer the VAT registration number over to myself in March 2023. I have already turned over an amount close to the threshold and my first VAT return is overdue, as I still haven’t received any confirmation that the VAT number has been or is being transferred. I have rang a couple of times and just keep being told that they’re on with it. But what happens about my outstanding VAT return? How long is it expected to take?
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:11:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
We apologise that you are experiencing delays with this
Please call our helpline on 03002003700 so that we can complete an internal referral for you and chase this up.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:43:42 GMT by
I have still not heard anything back. The previous owner of the VAT registered business is now getting fines from HMRC for late payment of VAT even though he has ceased trading. He has rang up and explained the situation and the fines have been waived and been told that they would chase up the application. I have rang multiple times to see what’s going on to be told ‘we’re on with it’ Is there anything I can do to speed this process up as it isn’t doing me any good being left in the dark like this.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 14:24:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Callum,
We are sorry that you are waiting a long time for this transfer.
The Team who deal with Transfers of VAT numbers are backlogged but urgently trying to get through their work.
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 19:54:22 GMT by
I am still waiting for transfer of VAT number. It has nearly been 9 months since I applied I have rang, I have emailed, the previous owner of the business has called and emailed. I am getting absolutely nowhere. I can no longer call the VAT helpline and the emails have never even been acknowledged or answered. Is there any way I can get this sorted, it’s causing myself and the previous business owner a lot of un-needed stress.
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:25:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

We are sorry to hear this is causing such a problem. As we would need to look at the request you will need to contact our VAT team so that we can resolve the issue for you.

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.