Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 16 Jul 2023 22:17:27 GMT by
Hello, If i source a batch of second hand laptop from India and import them into UK, then sell them by using margin scheme. please help to check my steps below whether it compliance the rule. 1. I will prepare a stockbook to record each of the laptops' purchasing details. for example: seller's name, seller's address, purchasing price (GBP), i will change the currency when i record this trasaction in my stockbook ect. 2. I import these laptops into UK using postpone import scheme. 3. these laptop will store in a UK warehouse and charge me 100 GBP plus VAT(20 GBP). 4. i will record sale details for each of the laptops. for example: selling price, sale date, ect. 5. on the sales invoice i will mark this invoice cannot be used to recaim any input VAT. 6. when i prepare my VAT return, i will compute the output VAT based on selling price and purchase price (these laptop import from India) 7. the input VAT which fill in box 4, i will recliam the VAT from storage cost (20 GBP). could you please help to review the above process and please let me know is this process fully compliance the VAT Margin Scheme? thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:35:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

If you import laptops in to the UK from overseas then you are unable to use the margin scheme. The margin scheme is used where you buy goods where the VAT has not been charged on the full sale.

In the case of an import there will be import VAT charged on the items at the border so this disqualifies you from being able to use the margin scheme. You can see information here: 

Check if you can use a VAT margin scheme if you import from, or export to, countries outside the UK

So if you import goods from overseas you would need to charge VAT on the full sale of the item rather than calculating the margin.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.