Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 09:37:18 GMT by
Hello, I have recently opened an Ltd, registered for VAT, got an EORI number, and enrolled for CTC, all of this before importing goods from the EU. I now need a C79 so that I can reclaim VAT back, but I was told by the C79 team there's no record of it. Customer service told me to contact the import team and see what they say, but the number I was provided with (+44 (0)1279 665825) doesn't seem to work. I exchanged several emails with CTC and talked to various HMRC customer service representatives, all saying different things, and asking to contact other teams, which then get back to my emails asking me to get in touch with someone else. I ran out of options and I need some guidance. Thanks
Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 15:35:50 GMT by Customs oldtimer
A C79 will only be created if your customs agent declared you as the importer using your EORI. So you first need to check that is what has been done . Also check that your EORI number contains your VAT number . Again if your VAT number is not part of your EORI then it will nor connect to your VAT registration and no C79 will be created. If all of the above is correct then You should be able to download the C79 from your CDS online account. HMRC don’t usually send out C79s
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 14:36:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you import goods from outside the UK and the courier uses your EORI number on the import documentation then this should produce a C79. The method by which you receive the C79 depends on whether the courier has used the CHIEF system or CDS to import the goods. 

You can see guidance here:

Check how to get your import VAT certificate (C79)

If you have not receiced a C79 then there are normally two reasons for this, either the courier has not used the correct EORI number when completing the import documenation or the C79 has been produced but not reached you.

If you have been in touch with the C79 Team then we would recommend contacting your courier to establish any errors they may have made in the process of importing the goods.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.