Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 13:42:03 GMT by VAT2124
Hi, I’m reading from Statement of Practice 4 (1983) Published 1 April 1983 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statement-of-practice-4-1983/statement-of-practice-4-1983 Under section 6 there are 2 lines which I’d like you to clarify. I spoke to your colleague on the VAT helpline, who referred it to a VAT technical staff member, but neither were able to explain their meaning. I also received an arranged callback from another VAT technical staff member, but got no further forward. What is the meaning of the following: Financial links • common financial interest in the proceeds of the business Economic links • seeking to realise the same economic objective
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:16:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 17
Hi.

The Statement of Practice refers to the separation of businesses where these are artificial in nature.

So the statement is referring to financial links between these 2 separeate businesses.

In order for these businesses to be separate for VAT purposes then you would need to define any financial links bewteen them
which would compromise their separeate individual statuses.

Thank you .

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:20:51 GMT by VAT2124
Understood, but that's too general to help Can you explain the meaning of, and give an example of the following: "common financial interest in the proceeds of the business" and "seeking to realise the same economic objective"
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 15:23:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Unfortunately there are no examples in the guidance available. As it says in the guidance 'each case will depend on its specific circumstances'

You need to think about how separate these two businesses are in tems of the financial proceeds from each of the business and whether, for example, one business would benefit financially from the success of the other business.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.