Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 10:25:48 GMT by Delboy
I am a small startup manufacturing goods and selling within the UK. My turnover is small so I am not VAT registered. I am getting customer inquiries from EU countries, the US and Canada. While I understand I do not have to charge UK VAT on these exports, will they have to pay their local country VAT on the goods and courier charge? I have read many things but am unclear on what will happen, what I have to do. There is no customs duty on my goods, I have an EORI number, the goods forwarding company I use look like they deal with / provide the necessary forms for most occurrences.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 08:11:33 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Firstly each country has its own tax legislation, some have VAT some have GST or other sales taxes. Your UK status has absolutely no bearing on how your imports would be treated overseas. Import duties for goods also vary as each country can choose what duty to charge. Unless you have checked what the duty rates are in your intended markets it’s hard to say that everywhere will apply zero duties. An GB EORI is only used in the UK to act as an importer / exporter registration number. It is no use elsewhere. Only VAT registered companies can charge UK VAT, therefore the VAT zero rating does not apply to you. You simply do t mention VAT at all if you are not VAT registered.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 09:01:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Delboy,
Hello we cannot confirm what the charges would be in the countries where you are sending your goods it would depend on that particular countries import rules.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.