Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Oct 2024 18:04:52 GMT by Steve Bolo
To whom it may concern, I am seeking advice regarding VAT compliance to ensure I am using the correct tax rates in our accounting software for VAT Return submissions. For software service platforms we are using in the EU and USA, I have applied a reverse charge VAT expense. For purchases from the EU and China, I have applied a zero-rated tax rate. Could you please advise if this is the correct approach? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you Ste
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 08:17:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
Can you confirm if these are related to purchases of services you are receiving from overseas? If the services are 'General Rule' services, then they will be subject to the reverse charge from all businesses overseas. You can see guidance here:
Reverse charge
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 10:07:09 GMT by Steve Bolo
Apologies. For purchases of stock from the EU and China, I have applied a zero-rated tax rate. Is this the correct approach? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 08:56:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

If you are purchasing goods from the EU and China then these are considered imports and any VAT will be chargeable
at the border as import VAT.

Please see below:

Paying VAT on imports from outside the UK to Great Britain and from outside the EU to Northern Ireland     .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.