Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 15:31:49 GMT by leahmariah
I am really confused about how to determine tax points for services delivered over a period of time, when an organisation is NOT VAT registerd (so invoices are not VAT invoices). I am trying to determine this to ensure that I am clear on where I am in relation to the VAT threshold on a rolling 12 month basis As an example; a service is providing consultancy support to a company over a six month period (January - June) and three invoices are issued for this work. Invoice 1: issued on 1st January for £10k (and paid 3 weeks later) Invoice 2: issued on 1st March for £10k (and paid 4 weeks later) Invoice 3: issued on completion of the services on 30th June at a value of £20k. The service was delivered over the six month period in line with the companies needs, not to a set timetable. When are the tax points? On invoice date or date of receipt of funds? Are they the same for all amounts, or different if up front or on delivery? Or does only the date of receipt for invoice three count as this is when services were completed? Thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2024 08:03:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
The tax point of a service is usually determined by when the service is performed. This is the basic tax point. However, if a payment is received before the basic tax point then this payment will create a tax point. This is the actual tax point.
The tax point can be also effected by the raising of a VAT invoice but this will only be relevant where the business raising the invoice is VAT registered.
Therefore in your case the tax points will be created by the payments made to you. You can see the guidance here:
Time of supply (tax point) rules
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.