Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2024 11:38:04 GMT by Jane Bartlett
A Dutch company buys goods from a UK supplier but these are sent directly from the UK to a customer of the Dutch company in Columbia. My understanding is that there are 2 ways this can happen : 1) The Dutch company can have a UK VAT registration so the UK company invoices the Dutch Company with UK VAT . The goods are sent from the UK to Columbia. The Dutch company then invoices the customer in Columbia with zero -rated VAT as an export 2) The goods are exported by the UK company to Dutch Co in Columbia and a UK VAT registration is then not required in the UK I understand scenario 1 , but am unsure of Scenario 2. Does this require the Dutch company to be VAT registered in Columbia ? What is the VAT treatment on the purchase invoice from the UK supplier to the Dutch company and on the sales invoice from the Dutch company to the end customer in Columbia ?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 08:52:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
We would say that scenario 1 would be the best way to decribe this series of transactions. 
The UK company are making a supply of goods to a Dutch company in the UK so this would be a taxable supply.
The Dutch company are then exporting goods from the UK to Columbia and this would be a zero rated supply of exported goods.
Please see the rules for exporting goods below:
Conditions and time limits for zero rating
As the Dutch company are making a zero rated supply of goods in the UK they could therefore register for VAT and treat the VAT charged to them as their input tax to claim on their UK VAT return.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 10:17:51 GMT by Jane Bartlett
HI Scenario 1 is what I expected, However what has actually happened is as follows: 1) The UK company has sent a sales invoice to Dutch Co for their purchase (ex works) with zero VAT as an export 2) The shipping documents to Columbia show the UK Co not the Dutch Co as the exporter of the goods to Columbia 3) The Dutch Co has then invoiced the Columbia Co with a zero rated sales invoice (ex works) Is this possible or is it incorrect and the UK company should have invoiced the Dutch Co with UK VAT ?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 11:18:19 GMT by Jane Bartlett
Further to my reply above, is this an 'Indirect Export' as defined in UK notice 703 ?, and if so is it therefore correct that the UK supplier has zero rated the invoice to Dutch Co even though Dutch Co is registered for VAT in the UK ? : "2.9 Indirect exports An indirect export take place when the following occurs: an overseas person or their agent collects goods from the supplier in the UK the overseas person or their agent takes these goods outside of the UK This applies to goods that are collected ex-works or where an overseas person arranges for their collection. Overseas person is defined in paragraph 2.4. Indirect exports of personal goods in accompanied baggage do not qualify for zero rating. Personal goods means goods that are not intended for business use by an individual. If your business customer is not established in the UK, the supply is eligible for zero rating as an indirect export even if that customer is VAT registered in the UK."
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:27:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi.

Please see the following guidance as this will cover this scenario:

VAT on goods exported from the UK (VAT Notice 703)   .

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:40:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response
Hi.

Please see the following guidance as this will cover this scenario:

4VAT on goods exported from the UK (VAT Notice 703)    .

For an export to be treated as an indirect export then the overseas company would need to remove the goods from the UK
or arrange for the goods to be removed.

I would say that this sequence of transactions wouldn't be covered by the indirect export rules as per
Notice 703 section 3.4  .

Thank you .

Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:44:32 GMT by Jane Bartlett
Hi Sorry but that link doesn't help as it discusses the situation whereby 2 of the 3 companies involved are UK based not where a UK based company sells to an overseas company but sends the goods out directly to a 3rd company in a different overseas country. I have read that there is a scenario whereby in such a case both the purchase by overseas company B from UK based company A, and the sale from overseas company B to a company C in a different overseas company can be zero rated although the goods are exported directly from UK company A to overseas company C . I am just trying to establish what the conditions need to be to allow this ie so that company B does not need to obatain a UK VAT registration .
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2024 11:48:21 GMT by Jane Bartlett
Further to your comment above : "For an export to be treated as an indirect export then the overseas company would need to remove the goods from the UK or arrange for the goods to be removed. I would say that this sequence of transactions wouldn't be covered by the indirect export rules as per Notice 703 section 3.4 ." what is your reasoning for this not being an Indirect export ? If the Dutch Company has bought the goods from UK company ex works but has asked UK company to ship them directly to Columbia, then is this not meeting the definition of 'arranging' for the goods to be removed ?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2024 09:01:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Jane,
I think the key factor is determining where the goods are deemed to be when these 2 supplies are made.
If the supply to the Dutch company is deemed to take place in the UK then this will be a UK taxable supply and UK VAT would need to be added.
If the goods are in the UK but are making a supply to the Dutch company in Columbia then it would be a zero export to Columbia.
If, in the second scenario, the UK is making a supply to the Dutch company in Columbia then will the Dutch company be the importer of the goods in to Columbia to allow them to make a supply of goods in Columbia?
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2024 09:05:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Jane,
I think the key factor is determining where the goods are deemed to be   when these 2 supplies are made.
If the supply from the UK company to the Dutch company is deemed to take place in the UK then UK VAT would need to be added to the sale and if the supply to the Dutch company is deemed to be in Columbia then the supply will be Outside The Scope of VAT
The guidance relating to indirect exports would be relevant where there are 2 parties involved and the overseas customer either comes over to the UK to pick up the goods or they arrange a shipping agent to do this.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2024 09:42:43 GMT by Jane Bartlett
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.