Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 07:58:04 GMT by
Hi, The VAT rate changed during my order and installation of solar and batteries and I believe the company have overcharged me on my VAT. I purchased solar panels & a battery system on the 5th Nov 2021 that had a total order value of £9206.36 (not including vat). A deposit of £2471.26 was paid on this date. The lower cost solar panels were installed on the 7th April 2022, but the sytem was not working due to some missing components (an energy meter) and also the more expensive electrical battery storage unit was not yet delivered. The battery & meter were delivered on the 16th June 2022 and not installed until the 18th July. This was the date that the system was made fully operational. The remaining balance was paid in full on the 22nd July 2022. The VAT rate before the 1st April 2022 was 5% and on the 1st April 2022 onwards it was 0%. I realise that tax points on VAT changes can be very complex to understand and I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand how much VAT should I have paid in this example? Thanks in advance, R
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 12:25:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Please see section 30.7 of the following guidance which sets out what options are available to a supplier where they provide goods and services which span a change in the liability of those goods and services:

Changes in tax rates and liability

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.