Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

If you are a self-employed Childminder you will need to register with HMRC as soon as you start to advertise or have a child to mind, you can follow this link to Register for and file your Self-Assessment tax return

HMRC has been working with Childminding organisations and special rules have been developed regarding agreed expenses which can be claimed to reduce a Childminders tax bill. You don’t have to use these but you may find them beneficial and easier to calculate your profit.

Did you know that Childminders are unique and don’t need to keep receipts for an item which costs £10 or less? If you are new to Childminding you can find out this and more in our online guide for childminders which explains these rules as well as looking at National Insurance, record keeping and Self-Assessment.

HMRC also have record keeping apps which might help you keep track of what you are spending,

If your question can’t wait or it is of a more technical aspect you can find more information in the Business Income Manual