Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Foreign interest and dividends

Hi @HMRC Admin 25. Thanks for the guidance. Just some feedback on the form which you might want to pass on to the relevant person/team. The message which is displayed states "WARNING: Please check and amend the entry below" in red letters. That is quite a different tone to the guidance which you have provided, and literally means I should change the number, not that there might be an issue. The messaging here should be adjusted to be more in line with what you really mean, and perhaps give some guidance as to why this has come up (i.e. why is £277 a questionable number in this box). I will go ahead and make my submission now, but maybe that is worth taking a look at. Thank you.
  • RE: Foreign interest and dividends

Hi. I have received dividends on shares I hold in a US company, held in an eTrade account. The total of the dividends is ~300 GBP, and they have not been subject to any US taxes. Where should I put this on my self-assessment tax return? Note - I see a lot of chat referring to box #, but these numbers don't seem to show on the online self-assessment form. I tried to put these into the page titled "Dividends". I put the value of the dividends in the 3rd box, and I put 0 in the 4th box to indicate that no foreign tax has been taken off, but when I try to go off that page I get a big red warning stating "WARNING: Make sure you have entered the correct amount of foreign dividends." but without any guidance as to why the form thinks something is wrong. Many thanks in advance for your guidance on this.