Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Zero rate of VAT for solar panel products

Hi. I own a solar panel company. Please let me know how to handle VAT for this scenario. My scaffolder is VAT registered. He invoices me for erecting the scaffolding specifically for a domestic solar install. I pay him. He includes VAT on the invoice. I pay it. I then, in turn, include scaffolding in my final invoice to the end client. Should I exclude VAT from the client invoice, and then do a VAT return myself to reclaim the VAT? Or should we be doing some kind of reverse VAT charge between my scaffolder and myself? Thanks.
  • RE: Zero rate of VAT for solar panel products

Hi. I own a solar panel installation company, residential homes only. Occasionally we will commission a 3rd party structural engineer report to assess the integrity of the client's roof, to see if it can take the weight of solar panels (especially old properties or old flat roofs). When we commission the report and pay for it ourselves, on the client's behalf, are we able to reclaim the VAT charged to us by the 3rd party? As this is a critical part of the solar installation project. Many thanks.