Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Customs charge on personal items purchased in UK

Hello community, I’m travelling the world for an extended period of time. I packed too much stuff and decided to post some things back to my parents in the UK (from Japan and then again from South Korea). One of the parcels has finally arrived in the UK but Royal Mail have issued a card saying there is a ‘customs charge’ to pay on the items (£34.26). I think when I filled in the form in the post office in Japan I put down the value the items would be new (not in their used state) as it wasn’t very clear what to do. Language and translations issues. I can’t remember exactly what’s in the package now, as I posted it four months ago, but it’s just things like my old trainers, some clothes, a charging cable. The cost of the customs charge is probably about 50% (if not more) the value of my items. They are my things, as a private individual, not for sale, and purchased in the UK. My questions are: Should I have to pay a customs charge on items that I originally purchased in the UK (so I’ve already paid all the taxes on these things)? Do I pay the cost and then dispute it with HMRC, so that my items don’t get ‘returned to sender’? It says I have 21 days (and I’m still abroad). Or can I dispute now, and Royal Mail should keep the items until it’s resolved? I know with things like a parking fine, if you pay it, you can’t then dispute it… Thanks for your help.