Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Inquiries about tax

Hi all, Thanks for your reading. I have few questions about tax that I don't know. Hope that someone can answer me. Situation: I moved to the UK at 29/7/2021 and lived in the UK until now. Question 1: I have some savings in Hong Kong. These savings have already existed before 29/7/2021. And now, I want to transfer them from a bank in Hong Kong to a bank in the UK. I know that the interests of these savings is taxable. However, besides the interest, do I need to pay tax for the savings? Question 2: I also have some stocks in Hong Kong. These stocks have already been bought before 29/7/2021. In 2022, I sold them all but there is no any capital gain and there is loss in fact. The money from selling the stocks have been deposited in banks in Hong Kong until now. And now, I want to transfer them to the UK. Do I need to pay tax? Question 3: I bought the same Hong Kong's stock in 20/1/2020, 13/7/2020 and 5/11/2020 respectively. I sold them all in 20/7/2022. The bank statement show that I have capital gain as it use the buying price in 5/11/2020. However, I have capital loss if combining the three buying price. In short, I ended up losing money. At such situation, do I need to pay capital gain tax? Thank you so much.