Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• CGT on transferred shares.

If I gift shares to my wife which she then sells , for CGT purposes I presume the capital gain is the increase in value from their initial purchase date ( by me) to the date of disposal rather than the values at the 'gifting' date and disposal date ?
  • Tax on dividends

I may have just exceeded the £1000 tax-free dividend allowance for 2023/24 and will likely exceed the £500 allowance for the current tax year. Will HMRC inform me if I need to complete a tax return or will my tax code be adjusted to claw back any unpaid tax in a subsequent tax year, as I understand happens with non-ISA savings interest from bank/ building society accounts ? Thanks.
  • RE: CGT on inherited shares

Can you clarify: Is the capital gain the difference between probate value and disposal value ? Thanks, Andy
  • CGT on inherited shares

My partner inherited some shares following the death of her father. In the event that they are paid into a stocks & shares ISA, this involves selling and repurchasing the shares in the ISA. What is the CGT liability ? We presume that the 'Capital Gain' is the difference in value from the date of death until they are sold? Is this correct ? Thanks, Andy.