Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Foreign disposal of property and UK CGT

Thank you so much for your answers. Just doing online self assessment. Am I doing this correctly? In "Change foreign capital gains" page. "Amount of chargeable gain under UK rules" - enter the gain calculated in "Residential property" "Foreign tax paid: " - enter CGT I've paid in China. But when clicking view calculations, the form is asking "Type of gain" - select "other gain" and "Is this an attributed gain?" From looking online, such as this page: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg18033 I guess my gain is not attributed gain. Not related to trusts. The web form then informs me "Total foreign tax credit relief on gains: £0" Why hasn't it taken into account of "Foreign tax paid" field?
  • Foreign disposal of property and UK CGT

I sold my property in Beijing, China last year. I am UK citizen and do online self-assessment. So I'm looking at submitting a self-assessment before 31 Jan 2025 to declare this capital gains. I believe Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) means relief in the way of credit for foreign tax paid (FTCR) is available is available to me. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/foreign-tax-credit-relief-capital-gains-hs261-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs261-foreign-tax-credit-relief-capital-gains-2018 A few other questions arose as part of my research/preparation: 1. Do I need to translate all evidence related to the sales, tax and allowable expenses? Does this have to be done by a third-party translation service with some approved certification? If so, what would that be? 2. Do all those evidences must be uploaded in “Disposed chargeable assets” – “add attachments” section? 3. Are travel costs to China, in order to facilitate sale of property, count as allowable expenses? 4. Just to confirm, dependent resident relief would not apply to this property that was purchased in 2013. :( 5. The payment will be a large sum as an individual, and not full amount have been transferred into UK. Is there any possibility to spread payment over 2-5 years? Which section of online self-assessment do I fill in to do this and is there any interest applied? Thanks very much