Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: US pension and UK Tax

Hello, thank you for your reply. I fully understand that you cannot advise on US taxation questions. Let me pose the question differently. On the basis that I pay tax direct to the IRS on any tax due on funds transferred from a Roth IRA, would HMRC then levy any additional tax in the UK based on the 2 scenarios: a) An annual lump sum transfer from the USA to the UK b) A regular monthly transfer from the USA to the UK Thank you [personal details removed by admin]
  • RE: US pension and UK Tax

Hello, I'm new to this forum and find the content above of interest and informative. However I'm not sure i can determine an answer to my particlar query relating to the UK tax liability on bringing funds from a USA Roth IRA into the UK. Background is that I am a UK citizen and full time resident, now retired after working in the USA from 2002 to 2018.During that time I invested in a company supported 401K. When I returned to the UK, this fund was transferred into an ordinary IRA. In addition, I also opened a small Roth IRA account at that time. My query is - can I transfer funds from the ordinary IRA account into the Roth IRA and then pay the US tax due at that stage direct to the IRS ? Next, can I then transfer funds from the Roth IRA without additional tax being due to HMRC ? Assuming that I can do the above, how would declare this on my self assessment ? I look forward to your guidance. Rob