Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Help with paying voluntary Class 2 NICs through Self-Assessment

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. I would be happy to send a letter if it would have the best chance of resolving this issue. Can you please recommend exactly which department/address would be the most appropriate to achieve this? Thanks for your help. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I did contact the National Insurance helpline, the operator said she had ammended my return, but it didn't work and I was sent the same calculation without voluntary Class 2 NICs. The operator was clearly having difficulty getting it to work and it is indeed a known glitch in the system. I had to send a paper return as the electronic system will not recognize voluntary Class 2 NICs if you have low profits and indeed prevents the completion of the online return altogether. Therefore I cannot ammend my tax return online as it does not exist except in paper form. That is why I need to know where to turn to now that will actually produce a result. The online system, phone calls, paper returns, and forums have all failed me. This is a very big problem and is preventing me from paying into the only pension I have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, I contacted the helpline as suggested and the operator amended my assessment. However, I have just received the revised self assessment tax calculation letter and voluntary Class 2 NICs have still not been taken into account. I basically received the exact same return as before that states I have nothing to pay. I am extremely distressed as I have been trying for months to complete what I thought would be a very simple task - to pay voluntary Class 2 NICs via self assessment. Please, please tell me how I can finally achieve this. The phone operator seemed to have difficulty with the system and I do not wish to repeat a lengthy phonecall only to achieve the exact same result. There appears to be a glitch in the system that even the phone operators cannot circumvent. Is there some higher authority I can contact to get this done? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, I finally submitted my tax return via post as the online system would not include voluntary Class 2 contributions in my tax calculation due to an error as described above. Now I have received the tax calculation letter via post and it states that I have nothing to pay for 2019-20. I do not understand as I clearly indicated on the form that I wished to pay Class 2 voluntary contributions! (section 'Losses, Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions and CIS deductions - box 36: 'If your total profits for 2019-20 are less than £6,365 and you choose to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily, put 'X' in the box') I am at my wit's end trying to qualify for and pay voluntary Class 2 NICs. What should I do now that both the online and postal systems have failed me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne
  • RE: How soon to expect postal tax return response?

Hi, Thank you very much for your help! Kind Regards, Dianne
  • How soon to expect postal tax return response?

Hi, I am new to self-assessment and because of a technical fault in the online tax return system I was forced to submit a paper form via the post. I am anxious to know that I have completed the return successfully and would like to know how long it usually takes before a reply should be expected. I posted the form on June 10th 2020. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful to know I did indeed register correctly and that it is a problem with the system that's preventing the Class 2 NICs from being calculated. Can you tell me if this issue could possibly be solved with a phonecall *before* sending the tax return rather than after i.e. would someone at HMRC with access to my account be able to amend it for me as I'm completing it rather than trying to fix it afterwards? If not I may indeed wait for a few weeks to see if the issue is corrected. I'm hesitant to send the return now as I wish to avoid chasing an error and I imagine the volume of calls may be very high right now. Thank you all very much for your help - this forum has been invaluable and I really appreciate it. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, Thank you very much for your reply. Apparently this is an issue that has been well documented since at least 2016 without resolution. Since you stated 'as this is a current known issue', does that mean the problem is actually being dealt with? Should I therefore wait until the system has been fixed to submit my tax return? I am very confused as the Class 2 NICs help section states: "If the Class 2 amount shows '£0.00' this may because you're not registered to pay Class 2 NICs - go to HMRC services to sign in or register" The amount on my return is indeed £0.00, but as far as I am aware, I already registered to pay Class 2 NICs when I registered for self-assessment - the summary of the registration application even states: "You have requested to register as self-employed/sole trader for Self Assessment and Class 2 NICs" Since that application was successful and I was assigned a UTR I assumed this would mean I was automatically registered to pay Class 2 NICs as stated. Is this not the case? Is there another form I should fill in specifically for Class 2 NICs? I wish to avoid sending the return without Class 2 NICs ticked and then calling back to amend it as the phonecall can take up to an hour at the best of times and in the current situation I am concerned I won't get through at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I do indeed thank you for continuing to help me out via this forum. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, This is very disappointing as it seems to be a known issue with the system that has never been corrected. I have never submitted a tax return before, and now my first self-assessment will be incorrect, necessitating follow-up phone-calls to try and fix an issue that could be avoided. Does this mean I will have to go through the same process every year? Is there no way this issue can be corrected on the online tax form *before* submitting it? Can you tell me exactly what phone number to call if I do indeed have to submit this incorrect tax return - I am very worried this will not be properly corrected. All I wished to do was pay this year's Class 2 NICs. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, Dianne

Hi, I entered 'Yes' and clicked 'Recalculate' and the same error appeared. This seems to be a known problem that others have encountered. I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue as I cannot now proceed with the tax return. Kind Regards, Dianne