Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: UK tax residency

Hi, I had contacted HMRC hotline on 4 October 2023 for enquiry on UK residency status and asked the customer service to help creating an UTR number while awaiting reply from the technical officer in order to meet the deadline for telling HMRC if I need to complete a tax return. I had reviewed the guidance at RDR3 and conducted the statutory residence test again recently. The outcome of the test shown that I am not a UK resident for the tax year 2022 to 2023 and submission of a tax return is unnecessary. Do I need to inform HMRC accordingly? Thanks.
  • UK tax residency

Hi, I have never been in the UK before. I arrived at the UK on 17 Feb 2023 and lived in a rented apartment for 48 days in the tax year of 2022-2023 (whole rental period : 17 Feb 2023 - 30 June 2023). I have full time work overseas (44 hours per week). I am on annual vacation leave from 17 Feb 2023 to 6 July 2023. I have salary during the vacation leave and being taxed by the overseas government. Besides, I do not have any job in the UK so far. Do I regard as an UK resident and need to submit a tax return for the tax year 2022-2023? Thank you.