Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Per Diem when Travelling Abroad Explained

Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading on per diem travel criteria and although the examples HMRC provided in their materials are useful, I struggle to put together a full journey from the moment the employee leaves the house for business purpose. I am in the process of completing a business travel policy for my employees and the feedback I got is that a clear example would be useful for them to complete their expense returns and less paperwork for the business is good as time is money. Are we allowed to use a combination of full expense reimbursement, mileage allowance and per diem rates based on the different stages of the journey? For example, for the part of the journey that you are in the UK we use mileage allowance and/or full reimbursements, but as soon as the employee lands in another country, the per diem clock start ticking. If the employee is taking the client for dinner while abroad and uses the company card and keeps the receipt, then the per diem doesn't apply for this instance as they've used the company card. Also if the hotel abroad is pre-booked using a company card, per diem doesn't apply? Also what happens if the event is from Wed till Tue and the employee has to stay over the weekend. Is that stay considered a business expense as it may be cheaper to pay for the hotel than booking another set of flights while also taking into consideration employee wealth being? Any confirmation on being allowed to combine these options at different stages of the journey would be great as we can create a good system for calculating expenses so the business gets the best value. Thanks in advance.