Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Form 17 Acknowledgement missing

Hi, My wife & I jointly bought a buy to let property in 2017. At that time, we signed a declaration of trust showing our beneficial interest as 95%/5%, and filed a form 17. However, I do not ever remember receiving a confirmation from HMRC whether our Form 17 was received or accepted. We have consistently filed taxes under the 95%/5% split since then. Question - is there a way to confirm whether the Form 17 received and accepted? If for whatever reason the Form 17 was not received/accepted, should we sign and submit a new Form 17 now? Thanks
  • Reporting rental income on Apr 1st to March 31st basis

Hi, I am a non-resident landlord and I will find it more convenient to report my rental income on an Apr 1st to March 31st basis. I receive rent on a calendar month basis, and the country I am resident in also follows Apr 1st to Mar 31st Financial year. Will that be ok? For interest, I plan to continue using the certificate of interest that I get from the bank. In addition for mortgage arrangement fees, I have historically amortised the fees over the 2 year term they have applied to, can I change that to on an as invoiced basis as it will be simpler for me. Thanks
  • Income on GBP deposit with Interactive Brokers

Hi, I am a non-UK resident, but have UK sourced income (primarily rent on property) for which I file UK tax returns. I also have GBP deposits with Interactive Brokers LLC (a US based entity). Do I need to declare these on my UK tax returns, or are these considered non-UK sourced income? Thanks Kshitij