Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Gift Aid impact on Personal Savings Allowance

If my total income from pension, interest on savings and dividends puts me just into being a higher rate tax payer I would only get the £500 personal savings allowance rather than the £1000 I would get as a basic rate tax payer. In this case, could I donate to charity enough that the gift aid means I only pay basic rate tax and then get the £1000 allowance or does the PSA “basic rate” only allow for total income - personal allowance and not count gift aid ? Thanks
  • Voluntary NI 18 digit number - do I have to phone to get it if I have all info on-line?

I have checked my online HMRC account for my State Pension Forecast and NI contributions which clearly say to get the max state pension I need to make 1 more year NI contribution and I can make voluntary contribution payment for 22/23 tax year as no NI was paid in that year. It even tells me the amount I would need to pay is £824.20. However, in order for me to make the payment I need the 18 digit Class 3 NI ref number, but to get this as far as I can see I have to ring the future pensions phone number 088 7310181. This line is so busy and I cannot get through. It doesn't make any sense to have all the info on line in my account and then require a phone call to get the ref number. Presumably if I ever get through on the phone they will just tell me the same info and give me the number. Is there any other way of getting this 18 digit number other than by phoning ?