Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Split year treatment

Good morning I have a question on calculations as I can't find a guidance for it I have left the UK in June, and I believe I will qualify for Case 2 Split Year treatment (I went abroad to join my wife, a UK diplomat that moved to post abroad earlier in May, and I will be spending very little time in UK in the rest of the tax year). I am still employed with my UK employer until early /mid December, as I had a 6 months notice period that they are happy to let me serve working from abroad. However I am still getting paid out of the UK payroll, into a UK bank account and with UK tax deductions on it. My P45 will not come until December / January. I will do a self-assessment and complete the S109 forms. For employment income page, how do I calculate the gross employment income for the UK part of the year? a) Using the payslips for April, May and part of the June one (looking at the working days) b) Using the P45 figures multiplied by ratio days in UK / 365? c) Using the P45 figures multiplied by days worked in UK / total working days with my employer in this tax year? Is there a specific page with the guidance please? The tax already deducted is simple, as that will be the one on the P45. Thanks, Fabrizio
  • RE: Split year treatment

Hi, Similar question as above regarding departing UK mid year. My spouse will leave soon and I will leave UK at the end of June 2022. I believe I will qualify for split year (let's assume that) We will keep our family home but it will be rented out (to non-related parties) as we will be out of the country for at least 4 years. We will keep some saving accounts in UK My employer will keep paying me out of the UK payroll (at least for a few months, until they can move me to a non-UK payroll in 2023) but all the work will be conducted from abroad starting from July 2022. I understand that if I qualify for split year, I will need to put in the self assessment 2022-23: - 100% of the rental income (as it is UK taxed throughout) - any dividend / interest until end of June 2022 - all my work income up until end of June 2022 My question is a practical one. If next year HR gives me a P60 with the entire 2022-23 income, how do I calculate the amount corresponding to UK work? Do I take the number in the P60 for the full year and do a ratio of days worked in UK vs days worked throughout the year? Or (days 6th April - End of June) / 365? In terms of various allowances (and in particular the £40k pension allowance) do they get pro-rated, or am I allowed to contribute to pension up to the threshold? I could be at the border of the basic and high tax rate band and I was trying to assess how much to contribute for the year. Many thanks for the help!